Financial hardship is always scary. My dear friends, the Davis family are facing hard times. After losing their house in our small hometown of Mena back in April 2009, they have had a tough time of it. Currently, their home is in foreclosure and they aren't concerned about that... we hope to raise enough money to pay the car note so it doesn't get repossessed. My friends...they are strong with their faith in the lord but you and I both know the Lord helps those who help themselves... Brainstorming to come up with ways to raise money to make a car note, we came up with an art-for-donations plan. You will be helping the Davis Family: Rachel (my bestie); David, her husband; Megan (my god child); and Mitchell. Rachel, a stay at home mom who does work at home and they are 11 year homeschool veterans. David does sales and construction but recently lost his job.

Please help if you can! We will exchange your donation of $9 or more with a shopping bag and/or other item.

Please read my blog entries below for more information on handcrafted items available from myself, Megan or Rachel.


Rachel's Etsy Shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/hillbillycreations

Rachel's Blog http://holyhillbillycreations.wordpress.com/ Rachel's Web Page: http://holyhillbillycreations.com/

Thursday, April 14, 2011

A goal of $6500

I got a call for help from one of my oldest and dearest friends-the sort of call no one wants to get... "I need help." A serious statement from someone who, like me, doesn't ask for help. Rachel and her family have always been self-sustaining. I knew there had been some financial difficulties after they had to close the  'Cone n Cue' in Mt. Ida... I mean, who knew the utilities were going to be $1800 a month when they opened. The business was good and the food was better, but they couldn't keep it going. But I didn't realize exactly what was going on.

In typical Rachel fashion, everything was presented straight-forward with no real panic (years of being a good mom, masking all those emotions?) in her voice. The house is already in foreclosure. They don't have the $1500 to file bankruptcy. The truck was repossessed with the restaurant equipment. The car-they MUST have the car. The note is due, to the tune of $5,000.


I asked all the typical questions. It's Chapter 13, so things will be liquidated. They can't pay for the bankruptcy filing, so there's no protection for the car to keep from being taken. They really need to keep the car. It is their only vehicle and David's mother depends on them for transportation as well.

Not an ideal situation. Rachel already had plans in the works for what she knew she could do. Yard sales, yummy bake sales. She wanted my idea on how to increase traffic and sales for her up-cycled reusuable shopping bags. Realistically, I don't know if all these things alone with bring us to the needed amount.

I have faith in the collective good; in the inherent wish for most people to help others in need. Those who know me know this isn't the first time I've taken causes to the masses for people. I believe we can do it. I know times are tough and money is tight. We accept all amounts, small or large. I can even give you a mailing address should you prefer to mail a contribution.

Please visit Rachel's etsy site, too. Check out her stuff-she repurposes clothing and makes new items. Very eco-cool, if you ask me. I'm in love with everything about the bags.  They sell for only $8 and each is totally unique!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/hillbillycreations

Thanks guys! Please pass the word along, as well. These folks are some of the best you'll ever know. Let's help them make the most out of this terrible financial plight!

No comments:

Post a Comment